Thursday, April 5, 2007

Artomatic

I am the "other intern". I am Nicole, and I am currently a student at Northeastern University. Northeastern promotes their co-op program, and that is how I ended up in D.C. Luckily enough, the PostSecret project "headquarters" is in this area too.












This week Jenna (pictured above) and I learned that being a PostSecret intern is about more than just reading postcards (okay, so we were supposed to be organizing them and might have stopped to read one or two or 50). We met Frank in Crystal City to assist with set-up of the next Post Secret exhibition, the Artomatic.

From the outside, the site for the Artomatic looks like a standard, boring office building. But on the sixth floor, dozens of rooms are occupied by frenzied artists preparing to showcase their work.


Pictured is our room just before we painted it. Frank hopes to display a 30 minute DVD featuring a slideshow, to selected music, of his indelible postcards. Opening night is April 13. Jenna will be there handing out blank postcards. The exhibit runs from April 13-May 20. If you are in the area, be sure to check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how very, very, very busy you all must be and I don't want to sound like a whiner but I am going to whine a bit. I contacted Frank about 2-years ago about some stuff and he was very receptive and we planned to speak later. Since then I have emailed him 5 times with not so much as even a "I am very busy, sorry Chris". I don't know whether to have my feelings hurt, be pissed off or just forget about it. It's not like I am one of those on your doorstep asking for a handout I was actually offering help from a very experienced writer/artist/photographer. If I just need to shut up and go away say so and it shall be.

Chris Walters (Daytona Beach, Florida)
www.flickr.com/photos/sweetlight/sets
cwaltersart@yahoo.com