Friday, April 22, 2011

New Summer, New Faces

Scene: Me standing in the common room of my dorm, jumping up and down in the middle of five bewildered strangers. I had just gotten off of the phone with Frank Warren, the creator of PostSecret, and he had offered me a job this summer. I was trying not to squeal too much.

My first thought: Mind exploding. Can’t even think. This is going to be the best summer ever. I am going to see the postcards, hold these people’s secrets in my hand.

My second thought: this must be some sort of joke. Someone on the internet is messing with me, and I’m going to end up looking like an idiot. That person I just talked to on the phone is probably having a really good laugh right now at my expense. So what did I do? Like any good internet sleuth, I looked up a Frank Warren interview to see if the voice was similar. I found one on youtube, and sure enough, the voices matched. I re-examined the last five minutes of my life and realized that this might actually be real.

Cut to calling my best friend. Voicemail. Very disappointing. Cut to calling my boyfriend. Voicemail!! Curses! I decided I don’t like either of them that much anyway. So I called my little sister. “Corinne…” I said with a shaky voice. “I just got the job as the PostSecret intern.” I don’t remember her exact reaction because I was still in shock, but it was something along the lines of “OMG OMGZ OMG OMG OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS THAT’S SO COOL OMG ARE YOU GOING TO MEET THE GUY WHO MAKES THE BOOKS ARE YOU GOING TO SEE THE POSTCARDS OMG SOOOOO JEALOUS.” Or something like that.

Here I am, a few months later, about to start my internship, and I could not be more excited. My name is Kaitlin, and this summer I will be joined by veteran intern Michelle (you can find her old posts further on this blog) and new intern Ashley. I look forward to blogging for you.

PS- Anyone else have any exciting job stories? Let me hear them in the comments section!

1 comment:

Amber S. said...

I call it "white noise". You are so in shock about the good news that you can't remember or hear anything the other person just said. It's a nice feeling to be so elated with a million thoughts running through your brain at once until you realize you may have missed some crucial information such as how much the job pays (as was my case). Congrats, and enjoy this great opportunity!